Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 9 - Off to See the Queen

It's amazing how fast time is going.  Official training begins tomorrow when some fencers come in.  The wrestling mats left many of us puzzled because we had never seen those styles before.  We decided not to touch them until we found the right contact to tell us how to assemble them.  It turned out to be a pretty chill day because it allowed me to get my laundry done.  Paul and I decided since we were essentially free for the day that we would hop on the train and head to the 02 for lunch.  We rode the tram across the river.  It gave a great view of the city and many Olympic sites.  The 02 is massive.  It is typically a venue that holds a lot of concerts.  I know the basketball final there.  That would be spectacular to see.  From there it was time to see some royalty.  By that I mean Buckingham Palace. 
Buckingham Palace
It's great having Paul as a sidekick that is a local and can guide you around the city.  The Queen is in the house!  The flag above the palace is displayed when she is in the building.  It's an extravagant area around the Palace.  The fences display lions and the statues feature lions as well.  I'm a big fan.  Lions are one of my favorites.  I was able to conquer another one of my missions and that was to see the guys with red coats and the big black fluffy hats.
Paul
 Loads of people were in the area but there may have been more pigeons. We walked through the park and enjoyed the nice weather before making it to Westminster (home of Big Ben) to catch the train back.  Not bad for 3 hours of the day.  I got to see some cool stuff.  We worked on getting some loose ends tied up once we returned to UEL.  After finding out there were no extension cables available we set out on another adventure to a B & Q which is England's equivalent of Home Depot.  An adventure is excactly what it became as we walked for a while to find it and then a while to get back.  Future stops will definitely involve a car.  Fred decided it would be good to treat Bill to dinner at a place in the 02 since he was headed back tomorrow.  So I actually got to ride the tram twice today.  The view may have been even better this time since it was the evening. 
Tram ride with O2 and London skyline
We ate at Nando's.  It's a common chain restaurant here.  Chicken is a common thing there.  I would say it was a common ending to Bill's stay even though he will be coming back to help tear down.  We really appreciated all his help with everything because he was only asked to come set up the volleyball floor.  I'm very excited for tomorrow because I get to venture into the Village.  The Village is where all the athletes from all the countries participating come.  It is a highly secure place but I was able to get on the day pass list to check it out.  Duces! (word for peace since the symbol for peace is two fingers in case you were wondering)

Days Until Olympic Games: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment