Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 23 - "An Adventure"...Driving, Gymnastics Final

Aly Raisman, Jordyn Weiber, and Gabby Douglas

Rob, Paul and I...FIRST ROW!
Team USA
Team USA for Gold!
I could tell when I started the day that it was going to be an adventure but I had no idea it was going to turn into the kind of adventure I did.  Everyone knows I like that word, "adventure."  I find that if you see everything that way you are more prepared for the unknown and accept whatever comes.  I love that excitement that comes with it constantly seek it.  My adventure today arrived when I stepped into the office and asked everyone in there if they were up for McDonald's breakfast.  This meant I get to drive!  While the McDonald's was only 5 minutes away I was excited for the opportunity to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, or should I say 'right' side here which is actually the left side.  Right is right?  Right is left is just too confusing.  Paul and Abby assisted me and came along for the ride.  They were very helpful and surprisingly did not freak at any moment during the drive.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it may be but did feel very akward driving on the right side of the car and in the left lane.  The most difficult thing was dealing with all the roundabouts which are common in London.  I never knew what land to be in going around them.  The whole thing with the spedometer being in km/hr was interesting as well.  It was quite fun and I couldn't complain because I was driving a new BMW.  I love those cars!  We spent the rest of the day with the usual basketball transition and security and then ironing out the volunteer schedule which I offered to take on.  It was a pleasure because I love working with Ryan, Abby, and Paul.  We have created our own little posse.  Then it all started.  I was heading to my room and was a few minutes from laying down and catching a nap before doing some heavy blogging before I got a phone call.  I answered thinking, "dang what request now."  Rachel asked me what I was doing and if I would be able to meet her in 5 minutes to go to gymnastics.  It was a no brainer because I knew the Women's Team Final was tonight.  I couldn't believe it and have never been more thankful for taking a phone call.  Going to the final gave me a very weird feeling.  Things just seem to keep falling into place for me.  People have said to me that the Olympics and I must be a match meant to be.  It sure seems that way up to this point.  For me, the Olympics started when I was 8 years old.  The first event I ever saw was with my mom as we were watching the 1996 Women's Gymnastics Team win gold after Kerri Strug landed a vault routine on a bad ankle.  Seeing her last fall, in person, 15 years later at our all-staff meeting was in itself crazy but now to go to this event at the Olympics is amazing.  On the way to the venue (O2) I gathered that there was another ticket available so I called Paul since he lives in the area.  We got there and it was decided the group of 3 tickets would be for the guys.  Rob and I waited for Paul and then entered the arena.  On our ticket the row said 'H' but those two were ahead of me and kept walking down.  I looked down at the seat label and it read 'N'.  There were only a few more rows in front of me.  I couldn't believe it.  We were sitting in the very FIRST ROW!!  My very first Olympic event is this and I get to sit in the first row.  Someone up above is truly looking after me.  So blessed.  Unbelievable.  I looked in the row behind us and spotted a really attractive woman.  I told Rob, "4 o' clock."  I quickly realized it was Alicia Sacramone, 2008 Olympian and silver medalist.  Believe me, she was even easier on the eyes in person.  I'll admit I had a big crush on her in 2008.  It was great sitting by her though because she knew all the girls' routines and gave an insider commentary throughout the night.  They also showed the most decorated Olympian of all time, Larisa Latynina, in the crowd on the big screen.  That was pretty cool  Leading into the end of the 4th rotation, Team USA was up to perform their routines on the floor.  They waited for their turn right in front of us.  Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber went and we were down 10 points.  I knew Aly Raisman really had to mess up for us to not get that.  She executed by scoring 15 something and the place erupted.  The moment really hit home for me and I was so excited.  They won gold and it was the first time in 16 years.  The 1996 was the last to do it.  I can't quite find the word to describe it.  Wierd and crazy come up way short.  One of my favorite moments is being at an athletics competition and the National Anthem is played.  I loved standing with my team in basketball and being in that moment.  This time it was so much more.  I was hearing it at the Olympics for Team USA winning gold.  The Olympics are the most prideful moment to hear it because it is in front of the world and the athletes are representing your country.  As the girls left the arena they waved and smiled at us.  An indescribable opportunity and experience that makes for a great story, my story.  I was extremely thankful for the invite.  The funny thing is the event was done by 6:45 PM and we returned to the office for some take-out chinese and more Olympic coverage on TV.  We got to witness the most decorated Olympian become someone else as Michael Phelps re-established his place at these Games and reminded the world he is the best all-time.  He was now the most decorated as he broke the record with another gold medal performance.  If today doesn't show what an inspiration in a young kid can do for someone I don't know what will.  My inspiration has came into full effect.  "From inspiration comes motivation."  It was not only the inspiration from Michael Johnson, the Women's Gymnastics Team, the Dream Team, and other athletes but the ability to grasp what the Olympics meant at that age.  “It is the inspiration of the Olympic Games that drives people not only to compete but to improve, and to bring lasting spiritual and moral benefits to the athlete and inspiration to those lucky enough to witness the athletic dedication”. - Herb Elliot.  What a day or should I say what an adventure.  It will be tough to follow that up but I believe another exciting opportunity will come.  Enjoy the ride.  TTFN.





Day of the XXX Olympiad: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment