Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 19 - First Lady, Basketball, OPENING CEREMONY




I give you the President of the United States!
Ryan, Grant Hill, and I after the First Lady spoke
The day is here!  7-27-12.  A couple years ago when I was an intern I continued a countdown that was in the 600s in my cubicle and now it has reached 0.  Up to this moment we have had to keep what is going on today under wraps here at SportsDock but now I can share since it is done. The past couple days we have been setting up one of the gyms for the First Lady, Michelle Obama, to speak in front of many athletes and then to meet them.  The funny part about the whole thing is that I was about 100 feet from her when she was speaking but I had to watch it on the TV in the lobby.  It was pretty cool that it was being shown BBC.  Her message to the athletes about how impactful their moments of glory and competition are to youth around the country was inspirational.  I personally know what that is like and I hope all of those athletes really embrace her message because it can do so many great things for kids everywhere.  After Michelle left the building the entire staff had a mission to turn the gym over so that the women's basketball team could hold their first practice at UEL.  They women had actually decided to come early for their practice so they could see the First Lady.  While we waited for many of the people to clear out I had a great pleasure of meeting Grant Hill and Brandi Chastain.  Grant was very easy to talk to and we chatted a bit about his upcoming season and retirement.  The guy is entering his 19th season which is just remarkable.  I told him he had to play through his 20th season which he didn't deny since he is under contract until then.  Meeting Brandi was more special because what she and the 1999 World Cup Soccer Team did for soccer and women's sports is tremendous.  So many girls were inspired by that team and the popularity grew to great heights.  For those who don't know, Brandi is the soccer player who won the World Cup for the U.S. on a penalty shootout kick and then took her shirt off.  That moment is iconic.
Brandi Chastain and I
Ryan (directing) at Team Processing
 I have discussed that world cup with my friend, Kristin, many times and to experience meeting Brandi was for her.  Brandi has been the nicest person person I've met that is like a celebrity thus far.  I told her that the picture with her was basically for a friend and she asked questions about the friend (Kristin) and told me to say hi for her.  So there you go Kristin, Brandi says hi.  There is my shoutout I promised you.  Our team began to clean up the gym, moving bleachers, carpet, lights, cameras, backdrops, etc.  The team was sensational in how well we worked together.  I absolutely loved seeing some of our top execs getting out there and doing the exact same role as everyone else.  Once again it shows you how special the Olympic Movement is.  As the basketball team entered the gym I passed by Maya Moore and Lindsey Whalen (Minnesota native) who play for the defending WNBA Champion Minnesota Lynx.  I had to throw that in there.  'Sota!  Now that the first high profile event for the day was done I decided to take Ryan, Paul, and Abby to Team Processing and the UEL Stratford location.  I haven't given Abby her recognition yet like Paul and Ryan but she is also a great addition to the team as a volunteer.
Ryan, Paul, Abby, and I toasting to the opening of the XXX Olympiad
Terri and I
Paul, Ryan, Agent J, and I
She is smart and fun and the female presence is good to keep us guys in check.  We got to TP and the team there was finally taking things slow since they finished their last team the night before.  I can't imagine what the last few weeks have been like for everyone there.  Once again kudos to that team!  They outfitted Team USA very well. I'm proud to wear the gear with all of them.  I ran into Katie and I could tell she felt some relief and needed a break.  I thanked her for doing an awesome job and gave her a hug.  After the tour there we headed across the street to Stratford (main operations center for the USOC).  Upon our arrival back at UEL we were having difficulties getting the shot clock working in the gym.  Wes and I scrambled to get it working because the men's basketball team was minutes away from arrival.  We got it just as the NBA players entered the gym.  I've been around quite a few high profile athletes but not this many at once and having a direct impact on them.  Basketball is my game so I'll admit I was a bit start struck when they all walked in.  Some of these guys will go down as some of the greatest players to ever play the game.  One of my fun interactions was with the always colorful, Craig Sager.  I mean colorful in a physical appearance way.  Craig Sager is the court reporter for NBA on TNT.  He alwasy has extravagant suits with bright colors and takes a lot of crap from many players during his interviews because of them.  He was here with NBC.  However, he was simply wearing a polo so I asked him where his suit was.  The guy was quite approachable.  During the practice session I was directed to play security for the gym.  I ran into many of the guys I get to work with when USA Basketball comes to the OTC in the Springs.  It was exciting to catch up with them here in London.  After practice the players were eating, showering, and dressing up to head straight to the Opening Ceremony to walk in the Parade of Nations.  Some of our staff ran over to Nando's, a British restaurant known for their chicken.  The guys started filing out of the gym while we were getting it ready.  These guys are massive.  Here we got LeBron James, Russel Westbrook, and Tyson Chandler digging threw the bags of food with me.  Brit would have loved LeBron at the table eating with his shirt off.  (Thought you'd like that Brit.)  I don't like to recognize people and put them on a pedastel unless they have truly done something worth recognition.  Playing basketball is not one of those things but I did just get LeBron's food ready so I can say I have served the King.  As I was standing to the side Kobe came up to me and asked how I was doing.  I have to give another shoutout to another Minnesota player, Kevin Love, since he plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves.  'Sota!  Another shocking experience was seeing Kevin Durant in person.  The guy is so tall.  After the guys showered up and were heading to the bus with their Opening Ceremony uniforms on and a few of them had their socks with sandals on.  It has to be a fashion statement if they are wearing them.  It's ok for me to do it then right?  Once the ballers headed out it was time to head to the dining hall for the Opening Ceremony celebration.  I was actually the one eating like a king after downing some extra chicken from Nando's and then the delicious food made by our dining crew for celebrating.  Then to top it off with some delicious ice cream.  Yum!  Other than being at the actual stadium, I don't know what could have been better to see the Opening Ceremony than with the people I was watching it with.  Staff members I have been around for weeks, Special Agent Jay (Yes his business card does say that.  He is our U.S. Embassy Liason.  Cool dude.), and the volunteers (Ryan, Abby, and Paul).
Some of the amazing women I work with, Jen, Julie, and Elizabeth
Major props to Terri who put the whole night together.  She lost her house to the fire in Colorado Springs like a week before coming to London and here she is amazing everyone and being the ultimate representative of Team USA.  Here we go!  The Opening Ceremony began and here I am in the host city, London, for the 2012 Olympic Games.  Sharing the experience with Ryan, Abby, and Paul was so cool because they are from here.  Hosting a Games means a lot for the people of that country.  I don't care if I work for Team USA or if I am specifically in the Olympic Movement, I think it is more important for them and their country.  But don't get me wrong the moment meant a lot to me as well.  The display leading up the Parade of Nations was very unique and amazed my eyes even if a lot of it did surprise me. I really loved the part with Mr. Bean.  I remember watching him many times with my family and laughing our asses off.  So much of British pop culture was incorporated into the production.  Just so everyone knows the Queen did parachute out of that helicopter with James Bond and then seconds later arrive in her seating area at the stadium.  It was not a fake or a stunt double.  Then once the Parade of Nations began with Mariel Zuganis, one the fencers training at UEL, carrying the flag for the U.S. the whole event really hit me.  All of the bball players walking with the apparel on that I just saw them leave with.  My Olympic journey keeps surprising me.  Everything seems to come together in very ironic ways.  I remember seeing Muhammad Ali trembling with the torch in his hand in Atlanta as he light the cauldron to open the 1996 Olympic Games and now 16 years later here he is at the Games again being recognized.  Is that not very crazy and sweet?!  That moment during the ceremony hit home for me.  My eye may have even watered.  Don't read that girls.  Haha.  I loved how the Olympic cauldron was lit by Team GB's young promising athletes and how all the petals came together.  It was beautiful.  Says the Queen, "The 30th Games of the Olympiad are now open!"  What better way to end the night than with Paul McCartney putting on a musical ensemble.  This day has been nothing short of amazing, spectacular, and a dream all rolled into one.  Thank you to the many that make this possible for our country and the athletes who represent us in front of the world.  "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." - Pierre de Coubertin (founder of the modern Olympic Games).  Let the Games begin!  Here's to great, safe competition!  Good luck my friends around the world but you know where my loyalty resides.  U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!  Keep it real America.  Cheers!

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 1

1 comment:

  1. whoop whoop! finally hearing about the games post- opening ceremony has been worth the wait! so excited for you chad!

    thanks for the shout out!! brandi and i are officially friends.

    ReplyDelete