Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 12 - Dickens and the Double Decker



As my stay here in London gets longer I'm beginning to notice that it is getting increasingly harder to remember everything that went on in previous days.  This means I must keep my blogging as up to date as possible.  The team meetings we are having every third day, I feel, are perfectly planned.  The time between meetings gives the team enough time to recap and enough time in advance before the next meeting.  Kudos to our leaders.  There were a few things that I worked on settling in the morning but up to this point he main parts were settled.  Somehow details of the Call of Duty matchup between him and I was leaked and Jen gave me crap about it when I stepped into the office.  I immediately texted Paul and told him to get the game ready and that it was going down!  We basically found out that we are very even players but I did take the crown for the rematch.  The sauna was finished wiring in the afternoon and we started it up.  It worked beautifully.  Wes, John, and I joined the 24 Hour crew for some full court bball in the evening.  It was great to get some running in and to play some basketball.  Besides, we needed to fully test the court and make sure the NBA'ers could play on it.  We gave up a lead and lost the full court game but came back from down 7-2 and won the 3 on 3 game.  It was great because Wes and Kristen were bragging about how they had never lost in London.  Not anymore!  After Rob and I met up with the 24 Hour peeps to head to central London to check out a pub that is famous for Charles Dickens spending time there and writing. 
Add caption
24 Hour Fitness Crew (wave 1). Love these guys!
It was a very unique pub and you could tell it was very old.  We ventured down the narrow and low stairways to the downstairs pub area.  I got to know all of the group more and understand where they came from.  They were a lot of fun.  After spending time with them it will be hard for the next wave of 24 Hour staff to beat them (there are 3 waves throughout the Games).  They were all so excited to be here and so helpful, yet they they barely got to experience all the athletes around and won't be here for the start of the Games.  I thought I was great at getting pictures, although I have slacked compared to the past, but Desiree was flashing that camera like it was her job.  She captured every group shot she could.  I look forward to seeing them.  We ventured to a couple more places to keep the night going longer but none had the same character as the Dicken's place, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.  I mean the place was rebuilt in 1667. Wow!  I finally got to ride my first double decker bus in London on the way home. 
Front row seat on double decker bus, second level
I grabbed a seat in the first row on the top.  It was so crazy sitting up there and looking down at the street, especially when these buses are going so fast and turning corners on the narrow streets.  Streets are a lot narrower over here.  From there I ventured to the back seat and sprawled out for a nap since the ride home took a while.  It does seem like I am going out an awful lot.  I am pretty lucky my job has allowed me to experience London to this point.  Who knows what things will be like once the Games start or if I will even dare try to travel through the city with how busy it will be.  We never get crazy when we go out but rather unwind from the busy days and chill a bit.  It's been great!  Today marks one week out from the Games.  "Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts." - Charles Dickens

Days Until Olympic Games: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment