Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 6 - Mile End

Secret of the Ooze?

A few stops down from us on the DLR (light rail) at the Beckton station Fred, Bill, Rob, and I went to find some easy breakfast like Micky D's but it started pouring on us and the first building we saw out of the station had a breakfast buffet sign on it so we unanimously agreed to check it out.  After filling our bellies we decided the place was probably going to become a frequent stop, especially since the dinner buffets were cheaper and had a different theme each night like chinese, chicken, pie (English style of pie that is similar to a pot pie and filled with meat), etc.  They also had a few beers on tap at their bar so it was  a great find.  After being back for a little over and hour we were told we were having a "mandatory" meeting in the Edge (cafeteria).  The meeting was actually just lunch so we topped ourselves off again.  I was stuffed!  All the guys then took to loading the equipment to Mile End on the trucks.  It contained weight platforms so it was a bit of a challenge.  A few of us were asked to then go to Mile End and meet the stuff that had been sent there earlier.  By the time we got there it the wonderful moving company had the stuff unloaded.  We scouted the facilities and I thought they were going to be very nice for the track and field athletes.  The track will be just right for Tyson Gay, Justin Gatlin, and Allyson Felix to get proper training in.  And the bonus was that I found Mountain Dew there!  With everything accomplished for the day a great Saturday evening dinner was in store.  Before we were seated we all enjoyed an ice cold "beverage" with a cheers outside on the sidewalk area.  My lamb burger was delicious.  I'm trying to explore some new things while I'm in foreign territory.  I've never had lamb before.  I've tried to inquire about other British foods and drinks to try.  No I am not going to try black pudding so don't recommend.  Look it up if you don't know what it is.  The restaurant/pub was located in nice neighborhood area and was called The Morgan Arms. 
Ben if you read this I think you'll appreciate the name.  As we strolled down the street a few blocks we came to another pub and asked each other if we really thought the night should end.  Without hesitation we all agreed another stop was in store.  Peter, Peter, Andrea, Rob, and I got some darts from the bar and played some cricket.  The dart board was with real darts and even had a nice throwing lane and line on the floor. Andrea had never thrown a dart in her life so I gave her a quick 101 and her first throw was good so I became known as "Coach" as the game went on.  It was about right because I started hot and went cold much like a player gets worse and has to refrain to coaching.  Peter was way too good at it and chipped away at each one to whoop our butts.  It was a great relaxing Saturday night out.  I think everyone felt some weight come off their shoulders even though we knew we had a nice 7 AM meeting the next morning.  A new adventure each day and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Days until Olympic Games: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment