Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 21 - Another Day at the Office

I've been here for three weeks now but my list of things I want to do is still somewhat extensive and I keep finding new things to add to it.  Obviously I would like to attend some events but I need to make a couple stops at USA House and Proctor and Gamble House too.  There are places around the city I'd like to see still but I want to conquer the things that I can only do while the Games are going first.  I'd like to see the Hard Rock here to get a shirt and increase my collection which is somewhere around 10-15 shirts.  The Hard Rock in London is the original so that makes it cool as well.  I knocked out the usual tasks early and then watched the trampoline gymnasts practice.  The stuff they do is pretty impressive. The best part is they land precisely in the same spot they jumped from.  Today was a perfect Sunday at the office.  It wasn't too busy and I did not do a lot other than watch a lot of events.  The coverage has been great between BBC broadcasted in a few spots and NBC on another big screen.  I've been able to see so many sports.  More than I would at home actually which makes up for the fact that I don't get to see all the insider stuff from NBC and the feature stories.  I miss getting to listen to Bob Costas in studio.  That's the only way I know how to see the Olympics.  Although it is awesome in the USOC Operations office because not only are the people just awesome to work with and talk with about everything but they are all so knowledgeable of everything going on so I don't miss a beat on updates.  The only thing disappointing about the day was the finish in the swimming 4x100 meter final where we took silver to France.  It was like the tables were turned on us from the Beijing finish.  The day was a bit quiet since my minions (the volunteers) were all off today.  I called them that in one of my emails as a joke but Jen loves it and they don't care.  They have been great at helping me and I really want to get them an all-around experience here at the Games and help them meet the right people.  They have a lot of fun with the staff as well, especially the girls in the office.  They are a hoot, as my mom would say.  I've also really enjoyed running into our taekwondo athletes daily as they train and wait for competition to start.  I was part of each step in their journey to make the Olympics.  To see them go through Olympic Trials and now be here has been fun.  They are loving their training area and have not hesitated to thank us for it.  Up to this point I have not ran into a problem with things I have packed or more so forgotten to pack.  I'm actually impressed considering I waited until the last minute.  We'll see if that carries over into my post-Games travel.  As I end here for the day I leave with another great Olympic quote. “The Olympics remain the most compelling search for excellence that exists in sport, and maybe in life itself.” - Dawn Frazier (3 time Olympian Champion)  The Olympic Movement is something unparalleled and special but at this point so is my pillow.  Until next time.....

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment