Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 10 - The Village

A morning errand run to B & Q  (UK's version of Home Depot) for some tools made me feel like I was back in Colorado Springs.  If only the company vehicle was the same.  The new BMWs just aren't up to par to our late 80's truck.  BMW is a sponsor for the 2012 Olympic Games as well as Team USA.  Scott talked me into signing up to be able to drive so I will be able to take one for a drive and have my first experience driving on the other side of the road...legally.  From there the fun began setting up my favorite sport, wrestling!  Could you sense the sarcasm in that sentence?  I did get to put together a sauna though and that was a new first.  After a solid morning of setups I decided a break in the Athlete Services Center for lunch would be a good idea.  Paul and I got on the sticks (lingo for controllers for gaming) to play some Call of Duty.  It was a good changeup to the day.  The HPTC's first athletes arrived to train. 
It was the fencers.  I heard from multiple people that they were very happy with the area set up for them to train.  They said it was better than the actual Olympic training venue.  It was really cool to hear how grateful they were and a lot of credit goes to the help of Rob, Paul, and the 24 Hour Fitness crew who helped me.  My next mission for the day led me to the Olympic Village.  The trip gave me a strong dose of "Hey I'm really at the Olympic Games." 
Team USA residence
Linda was very nice to take time out of her busy day and show me around a bit.  She is accredited to work in the Village and it is extremely busy for our staff working there.  We strolled around a bit.  The flags lining the paths was really cool along with all the banners and flags hanging from balconies from the countries that had moved in and taken over there assigned space.  Linda showed me the Team USA area.  This included the court yard, rooms, offices, athlete services, medical, etc.  You wouldn't believe how big the dining area was.  I didn't go in because it costs 25 pounds (like $40) for outsiders but it was massive.  I would say 3-4 football fields with areas of food from each continent.  It was a great tour.  Thanks Linda. 
View of Olympic Village and Olympic Stadium from Team USA's building
Wearing a London police officer's hat
Hopefully, once the Games get going there will be a day when I can get a pass again and get in there and see some of the competition venues.  It wasn't long ago we were celebrating being 100 days away from the Games starting and now we are down to single digits until the cauldron is lit! Wow!  It's an early night for me.  Ta ta for now!





Days Until Olympic Games: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment