Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 18 - Ribbon Cutting

The morning team meeting had to be the most important one of the Games because of all that was happening tomorrow.  Poor Rick trying to make sure everything is ironed out, but that is what has made him a great leader here at UEL.  One of my roles at SportsDock is making sure the mats are cleaned and ready to go before practices.  Well after cleaning them the previous times by dumping water on them and then running the "Monster Mop" (yes that is what it is called) over them I decided it was just not an efficient method.  Ryan, Paul, and I decided a B&Q run was needed.  We picked up a really nice weed sprayer.  The thing worked great.  We can now knock them out in like 5 minutes.  For the past few weeks people have been making runs to Tesco's for food and supplies.  Tesco's is like a Walmart/Sam's Club.  Finally I decided I'd go there for lunch.  It's like a 3 minute drive.  Then when we get there we go to Subway and I never even go in Tesco's.  Maybe at some point.  Later in the afternoon 24 Hour Fitness had a ribbon cutting presentation for the gyms and equipment at SportsDock.  A lot of cool people were on hand for the event, Coach K, Geno Auriemma (Women's Basketball coach), Tony Azevedo (water polo athlete), and Kerri Walsh (beach volleyball athlete).  There were a lot of media as well but it was cool to hear Kerri speak and see her in person.  Her and Misty May, who I just said hi to in the hallway before even realizing it was her, have been the faces of beach volleyball for the last decade and have been untouchable in the Olympics.  Kerri is quite tall in person.  Her friendliness was very cool.  I try not to get too caught up with athletes because they are just other people as well but it's still pretty cool to be around some of them, especially them and what they have done for their sport.  The same goes for Coach K.  While I despice Duke because of my loyalty to University of North Carolina, I still respect the heck out of the guy.  His values and the leadership he brings is something to be recognized.  That is something very difficult to do at the pinnacle of sports.  After that neat event I tried to take a nap but that turned into about 4 hours.  I woke up for a few hours and am trying grasp what tomorrow brings.  The day is huge for me.  It signals the arrival of the day I have waited a long time for.  One that you could say has been in the making for 2/3 of my life.  I know once the Opening Ceremony takes place it will be very special.  I feel very aware of everything that has transpired up to this point.  Tomorrow I will truly know I am here and there will be fulfillment.  I'm sure the days will fly from this point forward.  Once again I know this blog has turned into something great for me even though it was made for all of the viewers.  I can look back on the previous 3 weeks and account for wide variety of things I've done at work and in the city.  I have accomplished a lot to this point and I know there is much more ahead.  Less than 24 hours from being part of the greatest opening act and spectacle to the world's eyes, even if it is indirect I know I've put my prints into the many others that have contributed.  I'll sit here a while longer tonight but I know tomorrow will fly by and I am going to fly with it, grabbing and soaking in every moment and experience.  The spirit will be alive tomorrow night and every American who tunes will feel it.  I'm leaving you all with my favorite video of the great team, The Team Behind the Team.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reShlDvGwG4.  Go Team USA.  Tune in tomorrow.  Sweet dreams America.

Days Until Olympic Games: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment