Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 22 - Yanks and Camden

Week 3 started for me today and I can feel the days starting to go faster and faster now that the Olympics are in full stride.  I'm no longer finding myself wondering what can I do to maximize the experience more today.  It's more like what do I have to leave out today or what opportunity is going to come up.  I love it but it makes it that much harder to soak everything in and definitely makes it extremely difficult to stay on top of this blog.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to share he experience right away.  I probably lose some things I experience in the moment by not getting it updated right away.  It's crazy to think I have been working for 3 weeks straight.  It should be bothering me a bit at this point but I somehow recharge each day.  People have helped me out and let me find some time to catch a nap here and there which is greatly appreciated.  With my three volunteers all being from England, they are obviously cheering for Team GB first before Team USA.  Paul and I are enjoying ourselves daily with a little rivalry.  Up to this point GB is struggling in the medals but I know once a big one comes through the home Games advantage is going to kick in big time.  It's funny when we talk about differences between Great Britain and anything America Paul always refers to us as Yanks.  "You yanks...," he always says.  Love it.  For a while now some of us have talked about checking out the area of Camden here in London.  Finally Jay and I arranged to check it out.  Ryan came with as well and we went to a place called Brew Dog.  They brew their own beers there and some were quite tasty.  Reminds me of Colorado. Once again a good flavor to help balance the trip.  On top of it the pizza was delicious.  Camden is a very cool area.  During the day there are tons of shops and markets open on the streets and then at night a fun atmosphere comes out.  The area is known around the world for its markets.  It's a very artsy and music filled area.  One of my favorite parts of London thus far.  A good buddy and coworker of mine has been doing daily updates about his experience and I couldn't help but steal this thought from him.  It's so good and so true.  "With the diversity and physical strength represented in the Olympic village is there any problem in the world that could not be overcome if that power was harnessed and focused like a laser at a single problem. We have people here who move logistical mountains. People who can move extremely fast over short distances as well as long distances and all distances in between. People who can leap far and high. People who can lift hundreds and hundreds of pounds. People who can throw things incredible distances. People who swim like sharks. People who grapple, box and kick. People who ride like the wind on boats, bikes and horses. People who speak every language under the sun and we have thousands of people who dream big and are not afraid to fail. With all of that brought together in one place at one time wouldn’t it be cool to see what the world is capable of if we all pulled in the same direction, even if just for one moment?"  I can never get over how great the Olympics are and what magic they do for many around the world.  I'll leave y'all with that to think about.  Bring on the new week!  Ten four over and out!

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment