Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 13 - Torch Relay & Leinster Square

Torch Relay
Wrestling training area with sauna
I got so busy working on some things in the morning that I almost missed the highlight and a very unique opportunity.  The Torch Relay passed right by the UEL campus so the team gathered on the curb as though a parade was coming by.  It was very short lived but it was very cool to see a part of the Torch Relay for an Olympic Games in the host city.  Once again it reminded us all that the days were becoming very few.  I gathered my minions and adjusted the wrestling mats and got ready for Badminton's arrival.  Getting the wrestling space set up has required some time, energy, and constant communication but I really hope they appreciate what we have done for them because normally that is hard to come by at home.  I used my afternoon up demonstrating my carpentry skills getting the floor put into the sauna and the benches installed.  My brother, Kyle, would be proud.  Yohan, the maintenance man here at UEL, has helped me immensily by providing equipment for me.  I don't know how many times I have asked for something and heard "no problem Chad" from his mouth.  I have to hook this guy up somehow.  The sauna is finally finished!  I'm very happy with how that little shack has turned out.  Of course after spending most of the day inside we finally had the best weather of our whole stay.  It was gorgeous and brightened everyone's mood (even though everyone remains very excited and is enjoying their time here), particularly the security standing watch outside.  Josh, Justin, Rob and I decided to check out Oxford Circus.  It was a very cool area because as you walked down the street it was very lively and there were ropes bearing about 6 flags spaced out throughout.
London Monopoly board from group conquering a pub at each location
Then we came upon the area known as Piccadilly Circus and Leinster Square.  It's basically London's version of Times Square but watered down.  It was so busy but amazing to see at night.  Then we found a club and were curious to see what they were like in London.  Like everything else here it is very similar to America.  My favorite part, like a lot of my London adventures, is people watching.  The crowd in London is so diverse in the sense that there are people from all over.  The club held true in that regard.  London is very different from America and other parts of Europe because it shuts down a lot earlier.  A lot of pubs close up at 11-12 PM and most things are for sure closed by 2 AM.  Heck even in South Dakota and Minnesota you get until at least 2 AM.  As they say "Keep calm and carry on".  Until next time, adios!



Days Until Olympic Games: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment