Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 16 - Mile End Build Out & "Tails"

Mile End track
The busy day was here.  A number of us hopped on the train to meet the rest of the crew at Mile End.  Once we got there the work began immediately by trucking thousands of pounds of weight around the track.  Some of the pallets weighed as much as 2500 pounds.  Yikes!  Believe me, my calves could feel the burn from pushing and pulling all that weight.  It was a great crew as we all got our hands dirty and improvised anytime we could.  It was a great introduction for our new volunteer, Ryan.  He was another great pick for the team.  The guy had no idea what he was getting into after the day before doing some work behind the desk in the office.  This was right up his alley though since he is studying strength and conditioning.  I think every single one of us tested our metal and showed our grit.  The best expression I saw on the everyone's face was when we opened the box and saw dumbell weights reading "150" on down to "105". 
Crate of dumbells. Look at those weights!
We were all like, "who the hell lifts that?".  Each one of us took a stab at getting them out of the box and into the gym.  From Ron's grunting like an actual weigh lifter to Wes snagging the 150 pounder from someone with one hand like it was nothing we conquered even though we knew tomorrow would bring some discomfort.  Wes was a weightlifter in his day.  Anytime we had something that was really heavy we called upon him and Rob, our horsepower.  Those two are brutes.  Once the pizza came for lunch we all showed how hard we worked by tearing threw the pizza quite quickly.  Other than some organization the Power Lift racks got built and the area turned out to look like a gym. 
Is that Usain Bolt? Ha nope it's Paul
Paul trying to lift 150 as Terris, Andrea, and I watch
Mile End strenght and conditioning room all set up
The track and field athletes are going to love what they have available for them.  A nice gym and track all for Team USA.  It got me excited for seeing some sprinting once the games start.  I even tried to set up a 100 meter showdown between Paul and I but by the end we were beat.  I think the Olympic gods were looking out for the team this week because the weather has been marvelous.  I thought yesterday was great but today was even better and perfect since we spent so much time outside.  Upon returning to UEL, I checked in at SportsDock to see how things were going and shortly after called it a wrap for the day.  Just like yesterday the water was calling again.  I sat along the fence and started blogging for a couple hours as the sun went down in the distance.  Over the course of the night I couldn't help but try to test my photographer skills and capture some of it.  One couldn't ask for a better night.  All my coworkers at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs know there is a fox that lives on complex and it is known as "OTC fox" except Brandon who gave him the name "Tails" (named after Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog).  A great name.  So while I was sitting there a fox ran by.  I immediately emailed Brandon about the fox.  He says Tails is just visiting for the Games.  It gave me a good laugh.  I knew the training center we have built here at UEL was officially complete now that the fox was spotted.  There should be no worries going forward.  Ha!  Now that my butt is numb I'm calling it quits.  Time to return to my slice.  (my room name because of the shape) Sayonara!

My view while blogging
 Days Until Olympic Games: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment