Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 11

It was a pretty slow day around UEL for me.  I dealt with some requests here and there and tried to catch up on some blogging.  I crossed paths with many of the fencers throughout the day and they all looked so excited to be here.  It's so crazy because many of them are younger than me.  I can't imagine what an experience it is to attend your first Olympic Games so young.  I bet it is all coming at them so fast and they are quite able to soak it all in.  This is a first for me but I have been here for a little while already and have done a lot so at this point I can take a step back and reflect a bit.  That could change by the end and it may seem like a blur but that is another reason I really want to do this blog.  As I recap the first 10 days here in London I find myself curious and eager for another adventure after this one.  I feel like my energy level is still as high as when I arrived.  Now I can't wait until the Games actually begin.  From all the people I have met from London and other places, the banners saying "London 2012", and seeing the different venues I can fully sense it all being very real so once the Games kick off I will know I am truly here.  The only thing that seems a bit weird is when I see the athletes and have to remind myself that they are Olympians because in the Springs I see athletes but most of them are not Olympians.  Every athlete here, aside from training partners, is here to represent our country and compete to be the best in the world.  Knowing that is absolutely unbelievable and a blessing to be a part of.  I can't wait until the 27th!!  The dining crew invited us all over for afternoon tea.  I thought it was just a snack time but it was legit tea.  I went for the actual English tea so I could experience an authentic tea made by a Brit.  It was actually not bad.  After a farely chill day four of us headed to Canary Wharf which is amidst all the tall buildings in London.  We did feel a bit out of place because it is a business district.  One of the buildings had a ticker displaying the stocks.  I'm guessing the area is similar to Wall Street in New York.  I had been craving pasta and talked the group into an Italian restaurant.  The penne was delicious but I don't think I will be doing an appatizer including liver pate ever again.  Yuck! After, we decided to get back on the tube and hit up a different stop for a drink and a place where we fit in better.  As we were going through the station there was a man playing his guitar and singing songs by the Beatles.  He was excellent.  I couldn't help but empty my pockets and give him my change because I was hearing the Beatles in England.  I was impressed!  Our next stop was a pub called King's Head was located in a small alley.  Up to this point it is one of my favorite stops because of the interaction with the people there.  This was my first interaction with the bartender.  Me: "Are you from Scotland?"  Bartender: "Yes."  Me: "Yep I've seen Braveheart."  Bartender:  "Braveheart is bullshit."  It was pretty funny.  The movie was historically inaccurate in his eyes.  Him and another bartender from across the alley were great because they gave us so much history of the country.  I truly enjoyed the culture I was experiencing from the two because they had great tradition.  It was funny how they bashed England and still held a bit of a grudge even though it has been hundreds of years.  To Scotland! Haha.  Each night I have been out I have experienced a different spot in London so by the time all is said and done I can say I have thorougly experienced London.  From London, Cheers!

Days Until Olympic Games: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment