Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 34 - Mile End Teardown (Beginning of the End)



Ok at this point I'm running out of ways to open each blog.  How about a simple "Good Morning".  That is exactly what today was since it was an early wake-up for some good physical labor.  I use the word good lightly.  I'm kidding it was good to change things up again.  Today was the first real day of teardown though so that part was very bittersweet.  It's no joke that it is difficult to carry the same enthusiasm at the end of the Games as the beginning.  The experienced ones said that well before the Games and I tried my best to keep that in mind and keep it lively today. We spent the entire morning moving equipment and packing everything up at Mile End (the practice track).  It was actually very fulfilling to bring everything full circle.  I've now seen the beginning, the results, and the end of the whole process and let me tell you, those results were spectacular and make it all worth it.  It's always great when you win but there was so much more than that.  The culmination of seeing so many dreams on this stage really hits you where it counts.  Honestly, you don't want an experience so great to end but at the end of the Games after everything you witness there is an big sense of satisfaction with seeing the end of the tunnel.  It's actually a hard feeling to describe because if it is so good you would want it to keep going but I think if it would keep going for a long time some of the moments would lose value and luster.  That is why I want to make every final moment count and end it the right way.  The times when it's quiet and you know the activity is done with nothing to come are the ones where you can look at your teammates in the eye, let out a sigh, and say "what a ride".  Mile End gave me an opportunity to work with Peter and Randy one more time and get to know them more.  Peter was one of my favorite people I got to know at the Games.  His knowledge of sports, especially soccer, is unbelievable and I really enjoyed picking his brain.  Talking about soccer which is a sport I have only became a student of the game in recent years.  There are things I have really started to understand about the sport and to share them with him was a true pleasure because he recognized my interest and inquisitiveness.  The entire staff was incredible with everything and the 24 Hour Fitness crew deserve a big thanks for all their help.  "Many hands make light work."  After finishing packing up Mile End we returned to UEL where the men's basketball team were having their final practice before the big rematch with Spain for the gold medal tomorrow.  Today was great because it was very casual and I got more of an opportunity to see the guys shooting around and hanging out.  It reminded me of how much I miss being part of the basketball team in college.  After practice I worked on gathering a few items at UEL for the teardown there.  From there it I was off to Paul's to relax a bit and soak in the final night of competition while grilling some food.  We invited some friends we met in London over as well.  I couldn't be more appreciative of the bloke (Paul) for giving me the opportunity to get away once again.  Besides I really enjoyed using him for his cooking (I hope he reads this).  The finale of the London Games on the track took place tonight with the men's 4x100 meter relay and it was a finale that lived up to the hype with the United States taking on Jamaica for the gold.  Both teams loaded with talent.  To see Team USA come together despite being bitter competitors on the track and give it all they had for an American record (one that beat the previous WR) yet still come up staring at Bolt's heels at the finish line made me very proud.  The way they raced for each other and accept their medals as a team proud of one another was special.  To see Tyson Gay get his elusive Olympic medal was straight awesome after everything he had battled (the guy had hip surgery at the beginning of 2012!).  It was a great cap to a wonderful evening with fantastic friends.  Tomorrow is another big day but one that ends with a party.  Time to wrap it up.  Wishing you all a very good night! 

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment