Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 33 - 1-on-1 Bball, Hitting the Spots one more time



Riiiiiiiiise and shiiiiine London! It felt great to get a full night of sleep for a change.  I went outside my building this morning and walked along the river/canal (whatever you want to call it) and simply tried to soak the place in a little more.  There are only a few more days left .  I watched the lineup of planes take off at the city airport across the water.  Thank God I am a sound sleeper because I now realize how annoyed some people are with them.  They are quite loud.  It's quite the opposite of how UEL feels now.  It is quiet.  Most of the athletes are now done training besides women's and men's basketball.  Today was the women's last basketball practice before they prepared to play in the gold medal final tomorrow.  The other volunteer, Paul (not the UK one), prepared to step onto the court for some 1-on-1 basketball ourselves.  We have been talking trash to each other for about a week now.  I'll admit the games didn't start out in my favor and it was a struggle.  I could tell it had been weeks since I had gotten some quality exercise.  I finally found my groove a bit more in the later games.  Nonetheless, it was great to sweat and do something that was a familiarity for me.  I love the spirit of competition.  Seeing so much of it firsthand at the Games is very inspiring.  It keeps you going every day.  Even though Paul (UK one) couldn't join Ryan, Abby, and I right away tonight for another trip to USA House we decided to go anyways.  I may have said this before but I truly feel like I got a true taste of 'big city living' these last few weeks.  Whether it be by bus or train, it is almost second nature traveling across the city by public transportation.  It is very different than anything I have experience in my life where being able to get from place to place by car was the main (if not only) option.  It has been nice and easy as well as quicker (especially in a big city) but at the same time I do miss the freedom of driving my own car and getting out on an open road with some music blaring.  Once again we headed straight for the food at USA House and once again it was delicious.  I have had many opportunities to eat like a king the last week or so.  No complaints here.  After feasting we headed up top to the patio, the Bud Deck, to watch some Olympic coverage for a bit.  It was very relaxing.  There is nothing like a beautiful evening and enjoying a cold one outdoors.  One of my favorite things in the world.  Later, Ryan and I split ways with Abby and went to meet Paul and some of his buddies at where else...Visa House!  The place is like our spot.  Paul brought his roomie Laura and her boyfriend Owen with.  They are Scottish.  It was so fun talking to them with their accents.  It never gets old.  I think it really makes you feel like you are somewhere new.  To be able to have that cultural interaction is something every person needs to experience because it gives you perspective based on your own experience and not just what others say.  Besides, they usually enjoy it just as much as you.  Owen is quite a character and so hilarious to BS with.  From there we got out in the center of Trafalgar Square and took some pictures before meeting up with the 24 Hour Fitness crew.  It was great final Friday night.  As I wrap this day up I have one confession to make and some may have noticed.  I've been cheating on the date and time of each of these posts.  I was waiting for someone to call me out on it.  It's been a struggle to get these done but I am very happy I did because I love sharing with all of you and it will be great to go back and read at some point.  Hope you all enjoy.  From one side of the world to the other this is Chad signing off!

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment