Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 25 - Staff Volleyball

It was convenient that women's basketball cancelled to take the day off.  This meant the gym was open.  So how about some volleyball?  Between Julie, Jay, the volunteers, Amanda, and some 24 Hour peeps we were able to put together some fun volleyball for a couple hours.  It felt good to get some exercise in.  I've been really slacking the past month besides trekking all over the city.  Then of course I go to the shop on campus and get a couple candy bars.  The bright side is these were some of the best candy bars I've ever had.  One was called a King bar which was a cross between a Twix and a Snickers.  Yep no complaints there.  The other was a Kit Kat with peanut butter so basically a Reese's/Kit Kat.  Awesome as well.  Some of the best candy bars I've ever had.  The staff recently started a lottery system for extra tickets that the USOC possessed.  Jen put her name in for the tickets to see the tennis semifinal matches at Wimbledon.  Before she won she asked if I would be interested since she knew I liked tennis and played it.  So I'm going to Wimbledon tomorrow.  The place was on my list of venues to see while I'm here in London because of its prestige.  Even better I get to experience it!  It will be great to see many of tennis's best duke it out.  Once Jay finished his shift Rob, Jay, Ryan, Abby and I headed over to the Visa House again since last night was such a winner.  We got there too late for dinner but were able to see some more great Olympic coverage.  It was a great day for Team USA as we climbed back into the medal hunt and made things neck and neck with China.  Phelps again showed the world why he is a one of a kind talent and remarkable performer on the world's biggest stage as he won gold in the 200 individual medley.  It was against his biggest rival Ryan Lochte as well.  It's crazy to think his time in the pool is coming to an end.  It's been so much fun to watch him over the past 3 Games.  In 2008 I watched every gold medal swim as he wrote his place in history.  I think my favorite part about his career came these Games though as he started the Games slow and showed such grace and humility, especially in the butterfly when he finished second.  The way he shared the moment with the guy who beat him was beautiful.  The young swimmer idolized Phelps for many years.  I feel honored just to have seen the guy swim in my lifetime.  That's the Olympics.  The biggest stars are always ready to perform in the biggest moments.  So far the first week of the Games has been golden and I intend to keep it that way.  Cheers!

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment