Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 32 - Women's Gold Medal Soccer Final


Wembley Stadium


Women's Soccer Gold Medal Final



Team USA after scoring goal


Team USA celebrating a gold medal victory!
1. Woke up.  2. Took a shower.  3.  Got dressed.  Ok ok I won’t bore you with that but at least I did everything in the right order right?  Today was a day with another grand adventure.  I forgot to mention yesterday that I won 2 tickets in the staff lottery to the soccer game tonight.  Since I hooked Ryan and Paul up with an event already it was Abby’s turn.  I think she was beginning to worry she wasn’t going to get a chance to see an event so once I told her what we were going to she was pretty excited.  Tonight’s soccer game just so happened to be the Gold Medal Final for Women’s Soccer and the United States was playing Japan.  This was a rematch of last year's world cup final where the U.S. came up short. 
Abby Wambach
 I was so excited for the chance at revenge because watching the defeat last year was tough.  Most importantly this meant that I got to see my future wife, Alex Morgan, in person lol.  Since the match was at Wembley Stadium (Britain's national stadium) we had to leave UEL a little bit early in order to beat rush hour and get there on time.  Wembley was located on the complete opposite side of London. UEL is in the southeast and Wembley is in the northwest so it was a long train ride across the city.  Once we got off at the station the spectacle of people was enormous.  It was almost like a long street leading right to a palace except the long street was flooded with thousands of people and the palace was the stadium.  It was incredible to be in that atmosphere.  Tons of people were dressed up in their gear and chanting U.S.A.  You could tell the vibe was one of a gold medal final.  These were two teams expected to be in this position so there were many  fans there to support their country.  There were definitely plenty of fanatics at this event.  Leading into the stadium it seemed like the crowd was very pro-U.S. but once we got in the stadium it seemed completely the opposite.   
Our section was very much for Japan.  Once the U.S. put in the first goal to take a 1-0 lead the Japanese crowd quieted down but then Japan evened it and the rest of the match remained tense.  With every breathtaking save by Hope Solo my heart stopped a little bit.  Midway through the game I was watching the time because we really wanted to get to the concourse to see Usain Bolt define history a little more.  To see him handle the field in the 200 meter final and win his second gold I knew at that moment he was the greatest sprinter this world has ever seen.  To have that much hype and expectation every time you step on the track and to perform the way he does on the grandest of all stages is downright amazing.  I feel incredibly lucky to have witnessed all of his races live.  I remember seeing Michael Johnson win the 200 in 1996 and destroy everyone in spectacular fashion by shaving 3 tenths off his time for a record people didn't expect to be broken for 50 years.  Now seeing Bolt surpass that but still no one else comes close to either is remarkable.  These are once in a lifetime athletes.  After the race we returned to our seats to see Carli Lloyd put in a second half goal to give the U.S. a 2-1 lead.   
The pressure began to raise in the stadium as every minute passed.  Every time Japan attacked the U.S. denied them.  It was the kind of sporting event I live for.  It was like being in a basketball arena with the lead trying to fire back at every rally the other team brings.  After 90 minutes and some change I finally took a big sigh and jumped in the air as the United States wrapped up the gold medal.  It was incredible! This was my second gold medal ceremony and I can tell you all that it doesn't get old.  To hear the National Anthem play as the American flag is raised is an amazing feeling.  I never get sick of hearing that song.  I remember every time stepping on the hardwood and the song playing and getting chills, especially before the biggest games.  I can't imagine how all those women felt on that podium.  Unvelievable!  After witnessing all the postgame celebration Abby and I prepared for a difficult journey back.  Soooo many people leaving the stadium and headed for the same location, the train stop.  It was shoulder to shoulder and moving very slowly.  Someone could easily get claustrophobic.  Finally we got on the train and at a certain point headed different directions as she went home and I went back to UEL.  I think I felt the adrenaline rush for a good chunk of the journey which is a good thing because now I can crash.  Toodles, Chad    

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 14 

No comments:

Post a Comment