Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 29 - "Experience" recap, badminton, and soccer semifinal



It may be the Olympics but this morning felt like a Monday.  There wasn't much going onin the office.  Everyone was taking turns at getting towels clean and simply enjoying the Olympic coverage on TV.  The first few weeks were busy with getting things ready but I am very fortunate for the position I am in for the Games because once the Games started it has become very routine for me.  Many thanks go out to the other staff members who have positions that challenge them for many more hours at a time.  I don't want to take away from what I have done here.  The experiences and things I've learned are huge but I am very fortunate to have some great opportunities that others may have not had since the Games started.  It's allowed me to dive into so much.  I've been able to scan many areas of the city.  London offers so much.  The blend of ancient history and architecture along with the modern urban feel make it a city unlike any other.  While London customs in London are very similar to America's (more than I expected) it is very fun to observe the differences whether it be dress, language, interactions, or customs.  The people are my favorite part of it all by far but I've really enjoyed learning about the country's history, culture, economy, and simply how the country is run.  The whole experience has really gave me the experience of living in a very large city.  Using the Tube (subway) has become second nature to me.  I'm definitely going to miss not having to worry about tips in the service industry.  It's just so much easier.  Another interesting part is getting to see how outsiders view Americans.  I have not experienced any dislike for Americans on a personal level.  I try my best to be a realistic representative.  I make it clear that America is very diverse and that everyone can't be judged on the same level.  Yes, the majority do tend to be optimistic and share that "can do" mentality but someone from L.A. can be different from someone from Texas and someone from New York can be different from someone from Minnesota.  Personally, that's what I love about the country.  There are so many perspectives and differences among everyone but then there is a binding unity.  It seemed like a good time to share some reflection since the day was slow.  As I was saying before, I have gotten some fun opportunities like this afternoon.  Paul, Abby, and I set up a badminton net and played badminton.  I'm starting to get a good range of sports played over here.  I haven't played badminton since middle school!  I've forgotten how fun it can be to play.  Did you know a shuttlecock (birdie) is the fastest moving ball/object in sports?  Another fun afternoon at the office.  The night brought the usual.  A group of us headed to our favorite spot, Visa Lounge.  We are becoming regulars there.  Once again the food was delicious.  I had sushi for the first time during one of my previous visits and I'm actually becoming a fan.  It really makes me wish I had my own personal chef.  The hotel where Visa Lounge was very extravagant and due to the number of people we were forced upstairs to a massive conference area where many TVs were on displaying Olympic coverage.  We met some new friends and tuned in to watch the USA versus Canada semifinal .  The final was nothing short of spectacular and didn't shy away from the typical drama Team USA creates in soccer.  They always like to keep things interesting and demonstrate that "It ain't over until it's over" mentality.  When Alex Morgan (who I will admit I have a crush on) put in the game winning goal with a minute or two remaining in the second extra time the room filled with pro-USA supporters erupted.  It was one of those moments for me that will stick out for me from the London Olympics as a television spectator.  The ones where you jump out of your chair and are in complete awe.  In 2006 it was Apolo winning gold in the 500 meter or the 4x100 meter relay in swimming in 2008 that preserved Michael Phelps quest for 8.  The outcomes are so close and nerve racking.  Even as a fan the high from those moments are amazing.  It carried over as we wandered around a bit on the streets and then onto the Tube to head back.  Now the high is wearing off like caffeine and I can sense a hard crash.  Good night!

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment