Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 26 - Tennis at Wimbledon





Centre Cour
Venus Williams warming up
Maria Sharapova
Woke up to find out my friend Max messaged me saying he had a ticket for today and tomorrow at the Velodrome.  Max is a sprint cyclist for the German team.  It was a goal of mine to get to that venue and hopefully see him and the rest of the team compete.  What a sweet hookup.  Since I had plans for tennis today I gave the ticket to Ryan for today.  He is a big cyclist fan and was like a little kid getting ready for Disney World when I gave it to him.  Work before play.  It's kind of funny I am saying that because growing up I never would have agreed with that.  I came into the gyms this morning to get some work straightened out for the day before making the journey across London out to Wimbledon.  Tennis is a sport I have always enjoyed ever since my playing days.  Coming into Wimbledon was a beautiful site.  The venue is layered with vines and flowers.  It is by far the most prestigous and quaint athletic venue I have ever been to.  Seeing the schedule board that I've seen so many times on TV was pretty neat.  Our tickets were for the semifinal matches on Court 1.  That included women's doubles between the USA and Czech, men's doubles between Spain and France, and Maria Sharapova and Maria Kirilenko.  The highlight of those matches was the bet I made with Jen.  She picked Spain and I picked France.  The match ended up going 3.5 hours into a 3rd set with France coming out victorious.  Throughout the matches I tried some strawberries and cream which is the thing you must have when attending Wimbledon.  It was delicious.  Our entrance to the court was right next to the giant video screen where fans littered the hills to see the other matches going on.  We were in and out watching Federer/Del Potro, Serena/(whoever she beat), and Andy Murray/Djokavic.  The Murray match was great because he is the home favorite and to witness him winning with all the Great Britain fans was very cool because everyone was ecstatic.  Hearing the home crowd get behind their country has been one of my favorite things about these Olympics.  I've jumped on the Team GB bandwagon (behind Team USA of course) and have been rooting for them.  I've learned a lot about a lot of their athetes and many sports that are popular here that I would never see in America.  To see the 'home Games advantage' in person is spectacular and makes me wish more and more that the Olympics will return to the States soon.  Some of the incredible performances by their athletes have been really captivating.  That is the kind of stuff that can transcend and captivate a country and many more athletes to come.  Team GB's medal count has increased dramatically because of it.  Another spectacular event witnessed and site visited.  Once again things keep falling into place.  One week into the Games now and the craving for more still exists.  The atmosphere is something I think everyone needs to experience at least one time in their lifetime.  You can see and learn about the world by simply going to one place.  That sounds quite easy right.  Easy night tonight so I'll be ready to pick up where I left off tomorrow.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Day of the XXX Olympiad: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment